The Engineering Physics admission process of 2021 has been adjusted to account for Covid and the inability for us to interview you in person. To apply to Eng Phys for fall 2021, please follow the next steps carefully:
- Record a short video of yourself addressing the questions below. The video must be no more than 5 min, less than 100Mb in size, and recorded in a single take. Please do not edit the video after recording except for compressing it if necessary (We are imposing this to limit the amount of time everyone will spend on their videos). We would prefer an honest, unscripted response to the answers below. We prefer the videos to be spontaneous and unrehearsed, as if it were a real-time interview. Video quality is not very important – if you do not have a webcam you may use a smartphone.The Camera app in Windows can be used to record video, and a variety of online tools are available to compress.If you have no way to record a video please contact us.
Please address the following questions:
- Why are you applying to Eng Phys?
- What do you expect to do after graduating?
- What do you imagine your ideal job would be in 10+years?
- What is your second choice of program and why?
- Why do you think Eng Phys is a good fit for your learning goals?
Also, please address any of the following at your discretion:
- What do you do in your leisure time?
- What are you most proud of?
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- How hard did you work in First Year?
- Have you ever built anything (outside of school labs and coursework) that could be considered technical, or where engineering principles would apply? (eg. Model plane, phone app, bicycle, jewelry, etc..)
Please store the video in mp4, avi, or mov format (compressed to below 100Mb) and have it ready to upload before going to step 2. Alternatively, you may upload your video to YouTube (as an unlisted video) and provide a link in your application questionnaire, though please be aware that this is not as secure as uploading directly to our system.
Uploads must be less than 100Mb in size.
- Fill out the online application and questionnaire by March 15. Please answer all the required questions and upload your video. The application is posted here
- Check your email frequently to see if you are called for an interview. Not all applicants will be interviewed. We will only interview applicants about whom we feel additional information is required to make an admission decision. Not being invited to interview does not necessarily mean that you will not be admitted.
- Attend the interview if invited. Instructions will be provided in the invitation email.
- We will email all applicants on May 21 with an estimate of your chances of being admitted to Eng Phys. You may use this information to guide your program selection on the 2nd year placement form which is due May 22.
- Fill out our 2nd year placement form, selecting ENPH as 1st Not selecting ENPH as 1st choice will make you ineligible for the program. You do not need to fill out the personal statement for ENPH. It is a good strategy to still fill out the statement, but address it to your 2nd choice program.
If you have questions on this process, we will be available to answer them on March 11 at the First Year Program Fair (to be announced by UBC Engineering in the near future).
Thank you and good luck.