To apply for Engineering Physics for winter term 2023 please follow the next steps carefully:
1. Record a short video of yourself addressing the questions below. The video must be no more than 5 min and recorded in a single take. Please do not edit the video after recording (We are imposing this to limit the amount of time everyone will spend on their videos). We would prefer an honest, unscripted response to the answers below. We prefer the videos to be spontaneous and unrehearsed, as if it were a real-time interview. Video quality is not very important – if you do not have a webcam you may use a smartphone. If you have no way to record a video please contact us.
Please address the following questions:
- Why are you applying to Eng Phys?
- What do you expect to do after graduating?
- What do you imagine your ideal job would be in 10+years?
- What is your second choice of program and why?
- Why do you think Eng Phys is a good fit for your learning goals?
- Are you likely to extend the degree to 6 years and why?
Also, please address any of the following at your discretion:
- What do you do in your leisure time?
- What are you most proud of?
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- How hard did you work in First Year?
- Have you ever built anything (outside of school labs and coursework) that could be considered technical, or where engineering principles would apply? (eg. Model plane, phone app, bicycle, jewelry, etc.)
Upload the video to YouTube as an “unlisted” video and have the link available to submit in the online application form. Unlisted videos can only be watched by those who have the link, and you can delete the video after the application process has concluded (not before August 2023).
If you are not comfortable uploading a video to YouTube, please complete the application anyway and contact the Program Director, Prof. Andre Marziali, at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Fill out the online application and questionnaire by March 24.
Please answer all the required questions and submit the link to your video. In the questionnaire, you will be asked to identify an interview time slot. Please keep track of the time slot you’re registered in in case you don’t get a confirmation email.
3. Attend the interview in the time slot you’re registered for. Interviews will be in person at UBC. The detailed location of the interview is provided in the online application, and will be updated or confirmed on this website prior to the interviews.
4. We will email all applicants by May 14 with an estimate of your chances of being admitted to Eng Phys. You may use this information to guide your program selection on the 2nd year placement form which is due May 15.
5. Submit your 2nd year placement form by May 15, selecting ENPH as 1st choice. Not selecting ENPH as 1st choice will make you ineligible for the program. You do not need to fill out the personal statement for ENPH. It is a good strategy to still fill out the statement but to address it to your 2nd choice program.
If you have questions on this process, we will be available to answer them on March 10 at the First Year Program Fair.
Thank you and good luck.